.

.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

George and John

It's an intriguing thing to be thought of as safe.

Tonight I was talking to a good friend of mine on Facebook chat (with which I have a love-hate relationship) and he made some off the wall comment; not unusual for him. He's one of those individuals that will say most anything just to get a rise out of you. I rarely ever know when he's in earnest and usually he knows to clarify with a " Just kidding!"

Well anyways. We'll call him "George." Here's our dialogue:


George: "Nichole, when I look at your ridiculous little smiling face, I feel like a child."
Nichole: "Ooo. That's so very poetic. What does that mean?"
George: "It means that you make me feel like, if anything were to ever happen to me, you would swoop down with your Jesus-power and save me."


They were both very sweet things for him to say and oddly enough I've heard them before from "John," although he used the words 'safe' and ' comfort,' not but two months prior. "John" will have to be discussed at a later time.

What kind of truths do these coincidental agreeances infer? I began to wonder:

Do I physically look safe? More specifically, does my appearance bear to mind the ability to swim someone ashore or rescue kittens out of a burning building? Well no, I thought, of course not. I just wrote about my diminutiveness in a prior post so I certainly cannot physically appear to be the bearer of safety. I can hardly lift my suitcase onto the scale at the airport.

Perhaps it is due to my mad survivor skills and mastery of the martial arts! Okay, I lie. I don't have mad skills or any skills really. All I know about surviving is what I have ascertained from my grade school readings of Hatchet. Although, I'm pretty good with a spatula...

So then, what is it?

All I know is feeling safe is to be comforted, to feel impervious to danger, a " all is right in the world" kind of impression. The way I feel when I'm hugging my dad. He's safe because I can trust him.

My hope is these two men believe I am safe, because they feel they can trust me, because they know they are loved.

If anything, it's an intriguing thought.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think that he definitely see you as almost like a comfort blanket. He knows you will be there for him in a time of need. I remember reading Hatchet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, there is always a grain of truth behind every "Just kidding!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hatchet, now THAT brings back fond memories. As to the post itself, very interesting, were either of these dudes the ones you talked to me about? I don't see how anyone could not trust you.

    ReplyDelete