.

.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lunchtime Conversations

Today over lunch my best friend Whitney reminded me of why my heart aches to think of her being so far away from me. When I graduated Florida State I was taken to Texas whilst Whitney chose to stay in Tallahassee. What I think really catches my heart about her, well many things, but one so beautifully resurfaced today at lunch is what is revealed in one of our many conversations this afternoon. Here's a part of the dialogue:

Setting: That old hooters building transformed by some green and red paint and a stunning golden eagle into a less of a divey situation: El Jalisco #4... it's a Mexican restaurant if you haven't caught my drift.

Players: Whitney, old friend. Jen, old friend with wrist brace.

Script:

Whitney: Hey! What happened to your wrist?
Jen: Oh! I have a cyst on my wrist.
Whitney: Oh! Well, at least that rhymes.
Me: (hysteric laughter)---> Sorry, I forgot to add myself to the "players" list.

Honestly, Whitney has a way of bringing out the joy, of course, in the commonplace but her appreciation of poetic nuances is so wonderfully unique and her's completely. It makes sense as she was an English major. I would have never caught that the two words rhymed and she found the event to be quite funny which I then found funny.

To Whitney, my queen of the pentameter and prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment